Three Ways That Your OBGYN Can Help You Detect Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Posted on: 28 December 2022

Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections that can be passed from person to person through sexual contact and can be caused by viruses or bacteria. You may not realise that you have an STD because some symptoms may not appear until years after you become infected. You may be concerned and want to visit an Obstetrician-Gynaecologist for this private matter. They can help you detect and treat STDs. Here are the three ways an obstetrician-gynaecologist can help you detect sexually transmitted diseases.

1. Test For STDs

A pelvic exam is one of the most common procedures performed by OBGYNs during a normal checkup. During this procedure, your doctor will examine your vagina, cervix, and uterus for signs of infection or other problems. While this type of examination is done routinely during a routine checkup, it can also be done if a patient has any symptoms that could be related to an STD (e.g., vaginal discharge). Your OBGYN may also use swabs during this exam to test for gonorrhea, chlamydia, and trichomoniasis — all types of bacterial infections that are spread through sexual contact with another person infected with the disease.

2. Perform A Pap Smear

A pap smear is a test that can identify cervical cancer or other conditions. It's recommended that women receive this test every year or two. If you have symptoms such as discharge from the vagina or pain when urinating, your doctor may recommend an immediate test for an STD. If you're over age 30 and have been sexually active throughout your life, it's important to have regular pap smears because older women are at higher risk for cervical cancer. During the test, your doctor will use a speculum and brush or wipe the cervix with vinegar solution to collect tissue samples for testing in a lab.

3. Offer Medication And Treatment If You Have An STD

Your doctor can prescribe the proper medication for your infection and offer treatment options. If you have an STD that's caused by a bacteria or virus, such as chlamydia or gonorrhoea, antibiotics are usually prescribed. However, if you have an STI that's caused by a parasite like trichomoniasis or candidiasis (yeast infection), your doctor may recommend an antifungal medication instead.

If you are concerned about your health, chat with your doctor right away. Your doctor can help you determine whether you have an STD and if so, which one. They can also offer treatment options and advise you on how to prevent future infections. 

For more info, contact a local obstetrician


Managing chronic pain in my back

I was in a car accident nearly a decade ago and I have been in pain ever since. I have tried a lot of different therapies because I don't want to be reliant on pain medication for my whole life. Some of the therapies work really well and some haven't been that effective. This blog is a record of some of the therapies that I have tried as well as some of the therapies my friends and companions from the pain clinic have tried. I hope it's useful for other people who are dealing with chronic pain in their life.

Latest Posts